Sunday, November 16, 2008

Whole Foods Discussion

Recently there was a discussion on the Progressive email list about the prospect of Whole Foods coming to town. The progressive email list is for announcements. When discussions flair up many complaints are made and some unsubscribe from the list. Nonetheless, discussions are important, especially this one. So, I have copied the discussion below.
But first I feel compelled to point out that this discussion was promulgated by someone who is decidedly not progressive. David R. Hart is a property rights, pro-sprawl , vocal supporter of the development community. Though he is welcome both here and on the betterdays list, I am suspect of his motivations for posting this and also of its veracity.
_____________________________________________________________
From David R Hart
Recently there was a good discussion on the progressive email list motivated by the prospect of a Whole Foods coming to town. The betterdays list is an announce list not intended for discussions. When discussions flair up, inevitably complaints are made and people with overactive inboxes understandably unsubscribe and we become less connected to progressives in the Brazos Valley. I have reposted the discussion in the comments section here in hopes that the discussion will continue.
This is a forward of a forward of a forward, but AFAIK it is legitimate,
so please complete the survey if you are interested in perhaps attracting
a Whole Foods Market to our community.
-drh

==========================================================================

Professor Wesson,

As you know, my team and I are conducting a market research project
investigating the demand for Whole Foods supermarket in the Brazos Valley.
Would you please take a moment to fill out our survey? Also, please
forward this email to any other 'foodie' friends you can think of.

Here is the link: http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB228GVVN2Q77

Thanks!
______________________________________________________
Plankey Videla, Nancy
to betterdays
show details Nov 14 (1 day ago) Reply

Hello fellow progressives,

I send this out as a piece of information. Whole Foods has historically
been a union-busting outfit. While I would love more variety and I am
guilty of having shopped at Whole Foods, I think it is important to
think about the effect of a Whole Foods on our own Brazos Natural Food
store and on worker-labor relations. See the following for more
information:
http://coopamerica.org/programs/responsibleshopper/company.cfm?id=309

Nancy
___________________________________________________________
Cody Marx Bailey
to Progressives
show details Nov 14 (1 day ago) Reply

I am in favor of going local, sometimes at any cost even when it doesn't make sense. I'd love to tell Whole Foods to take a hike, but at the same time I'm wanting more than just what Brazos Natural Foods has to offer. This is one of my biggest complaints with locally owned businesses - sometimes they do not step it up when things get tight.

My own little dream is to see the/a Brazos Natural Foods expand to a larger store and begin to offer more variety. Whole Foods would surely put them out of business, but at the same time they offer a great deal more than BNF. That said, I will support BNF even if WF were to move here, that is until they went under and so long as no other comparable store existed.

-Cody
____________________________________________________________________________
Katalin Takacs
to Cody, Progressives
show details Nov 14 (1 day ago) Reply

I really didn't want to say anything, but alas, I can't keep my mouth shut. I agree with Cody.

1) I am all for supporting local foods and locally owned businesses. I used to be a small business owner myself and understand the problems faced by such.

2) Competition is good. It makes businesses become creative, lean and mean. Customers are also better off with more choices. I don't think that WF is going to drive BNF out of business. There are many things small businesses can do if they truly want to stay in business that large mega-corporations like WF can't. I would love to see BNF grow as well.

3) One of the benefits of competition that many people might not be aware of is the increase in demand due to consumer education. I know several people in CS who don't shop at BNF at the moment, however they drive to Austin to shop at WF. If we had WF in BCS, over time some of these people would learn about BNF and start spending money there too. BNF & WF could organize events together, etc. that again, would drive business to BNF.

4) On a previous post: it is beneficial to understand the impact of unions on consumers and the economy, both national and local, rather than repeat the mantra "Unions are good, big businesses are bad". It's not all black and white, there are many shades of gray.

Thanks, happy weekend to everyone.
Kati
____________________________________________
Renee Bork
to Brazos
show details Nov 14 (1 day ago) Reply

I support Brazos Natural Foods as well and will continue to support them. They are dear personal friends as well as friends of the community.

A few weeks ago it hit the news that Jim Lewis, who owns the building that the Appletree Market operates from [as well as the Galleria Building next door to it on Briarcrest Drive near 29th Street in Bryan] is opening a natural foods store called Village Foods (slated to open in February 2009) in the Appletree building.

In other towns I’ve visited where big stores like Whole Foods or Wild Oats move in, it seems as though the “Mom & Pop” stores survive and people still buy there and support them. I hope this is the case in our town. There’s a lot of room for growth in the natural foods industry. Hopefully two natural foods stores in our town will have a synergistic effect and all will survive.

From what I’ve heard, I was under the impression that Whole Foods has opted not to come into smaller markets like ours and has gone towards very large metropolitan markets. Since Jim Lewis is a businessman I would guess that he’s done his market research here in the Brazos Valley.
For what it’s worth,
Renee

4 comments:

Hugh said...

Like many, I am often frustrated that Brazos Natural Foods (BNF) is not larger and providing a wider selection. I am also disappointed that they do not provide food for free and deliver it to my house, put it away and cook dinner for my family.

For those who do not know, BNF started out as a small food coop. When there was not enough support to sustain the coop the Atkins took it over. I’m guessing that must have been about 25 or 30 years ago. It is now in its third location since that time. All the while they have provided so much more than healthy food, an endeavor well worth our appreciation and loyalty by itself. They have been a nurturing nexus for diversity in an environment that is at time hostile to diversity.

While it is wonderful to go to BNF to encounter tofu munching, Birkenstock wearing, tree hugging vegans, it is even more rewarding to also see people there who are none of those things.

BNF has been able to pull off this most improbable feat by possessing such rare qualities as true compassion, integrity and commitment to the community and to the individuals in it.

Pile high all manner of organics shipped across the seven seas for your consumption pleasure, place them in spacious luxury and sell them for cheap and still you are unlikely to find the rare values abundant at BNF.

BTW Wal-Mart is now selling organics.

Hugh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hugh said...

Cross posted from BrazosProgressives.org

Subject: natural foods in the community

Brazos Progressives- please pass this on, as I've seen several comments on this subject and wanted to address it.

This is Jenn Atkins, my parents Janis and Robert own Brazos Natural Foods. A week ago I first heard of the new store, Village Foods, opening up. It was not actually through my parents I heard about it. There are two opinions I have about this; the first is that I am very pleased that support grows for the companies I love to support, like Organic Valley, Eden, NewChapter, Frontier- companies who care about the health of the soil, care of its workers&suppliers, having good business ethics. These are the businesses that provide a sustainable and nourishing foundation for a society. I'm happy to see that grow.

The second view is this. Though I have many ideas I would have liked to see come about for BNF, the decision has not been mine. I would have, given the choice, expanded years ago, for I know how much the community needs the services we provide, and how we've needed to expand that. A cafe, juice bar, greater selection of produce, meats, cosmetics and body care, consultants- these are all things I'm aware the community has needed. Internal factors at BNF have unfortunatly prevented us taking full advantage of the amazing opportunies we've had. It's not that we couldn't have- there were choices not to. I deeply, deeply regret that our store has not grown to meet the needs of the community. Our at times super-hero staff have gone to great lengths to make up for in service what we might otherwise not provide. And this is how I hope to best continue to be here for the community.

Addressing a comment on how everyone's funds might be tighter- we do our very best, you have no idea- to keep our prices frugal. In some areas we are actually cheaper than larger stores. We get charged more to bring in product, and that eventually gets reflected, but- we shop at BNF, too! We like low prices! Whenever we can offer savings, to really strive to. Keep in mind, though- in buying products from quality producers, there are no hidden costs later in supplementing for nutrient deficiency, toxin-clean-up, workers who don't make a real living.... Supporting healthy businesses enriches our quality of life, in all areas. That's part of holistic living- seeing how different systems support each other.

I am not going to look at a fellow business as competition- many stores now offer some of the same products. What I hope to offer that is unique is customer service. An amazing selection can be overwhelming if you are not familiar with the products. Staff that knows the companies, the products, how they are used, considerations- this is how I hope to continue to be a nurturing force in the community. We do our best to stay informed and up-to-date, and to bring in special requests for customers. We also try to inform customers when there are State or National initiatives that try to take away your access to holistic medicine, products or information, so that we can act together to maintain our health freedom. (Texas Health Freedom Coalition is a source for information).

I'm hoping that having another natural products provider in B/CS will give the incentive for making the positive changes BrazosNaturalFoods has needed. This has been my family's business for 20 years, and it means a great deal to me- I have gained great experience and relationships because of it, while nurturing my own passion for holistic living.

It is my hope that BrazosNaturalFoods matures into an even greater member of our community, to continue to enrich us all~

My Thanks,
Jenn Atkins, CNC, LMT- Holistic Health Practitioner, of BrazosNaturalFoods

Hugh said...

From Kylie

Hugh, can you post this on the blog? I don't know how to sign on.::


Just getting started with a business in the natural foods world, I am realizing the complexity of working towards an eco and health conscious business. Everything is expensive.
I was spoke with Janis Atkins of BNF today and asked her if we could co-op together on our orders through United Natural Foods, a distributor of, just as it sounds, natural and organic foods. I thought this might allow us better pricing on the orders if we ordered a larger amount so we could pass this discount on to our customers. She said it would not make a difference, that the discount does not increase until you have an order of $10,000. This is impossible for a business (or two) smaller than Wal-Mart. Is it even possible for a Whole Foods in Bryan, Texas?
This being said, I believe the question is for the natural foods industry. There is a long chain of reasons why the prices are higher on natural and organic prices. The demand is still lower than conventional, as much as it is growing. And along with smaller farms and companies comes higher overhead, etc. Not every company is going provide you honest pricing on their products, but most of the time the pricing accurately reflects the costs.
So it comes down to the consumers. We need to weigh what is important to us. My whole adult life I have lived on mostly lower than living wage ($9/hour in this area)yet have still managed to consume mostly natural and organic products. I have sacrificed many amenities, but have found that my health and the health of the planet is crucial. It is very difficult but I see it as highly important. It may not be for the choice for everybody, and that is ok, but when trying to shop organic please keep in mind what you are paying for and why.
I understand why BNF may not have expanded. The prices would not necessarily be lower and is a risk in this town to assume the demand would be present.
I have worked at several natural foods stores in different cities (including Brazos Natural Foods) and the variety of product that BNF has is incredible, especially for the size of the space. They provide a lot and do great things with the amount of space they have.
I hope we understand the importance of Brazos Natural Foods in this community, and hope we continue to support their store and the health of our bodies, earth and self.